Sunday, June 29, 2008

Revisitng Marketing ... Back To Square One

So many things have changed in my life and in the world that surrounds it, but I was glad to know that the definition of Marketing is still the same: "Satisfying Customer Needs at a Profit".

Revisiting a marketing class after such a long break is kinda eye-opening. It's so easy to learn the concepts of marketing in class and forget about them as soon as it is over. I've been running a small web hosting business since 2003 but I can hardly recall a time when I sat there infront of a PC or notebook dedicating time for a marketing plan. Forget a detailed plan, I've hardly touched the SWOT analysis or marketing models such as Ansoff or BCG matrices. All I could devote time was for things like Search Engine Optimization and web promotion that can deliver immediate results. Needles to say that now when I look back at it, I find my hosting company without a solid marketing base.

Marketing is a wonderful art or science or better yet a hybrid that when performed intelligently can build the base of a very profitable business and help you keep it growing. In the next few posts, we will have a look at basics that every business must follow.

No comments: